Welding has been around for centuries, in one form or another. It dates back as far as 3000-1200 B.C. and is still going strong. Welding has such a long history that it’s not shocking there are some really fun and fascinating facts about the process.
Interesting Welding Facts
- Over 50% of all man-made products were created by welding. Everything from cars to the homes we live in were touched by welding.
- Welding is a career that is always in demand: It is used in manufacturing and construction and nearly every industry between.
- The concept of welding has been around for centuries. Evidence is even present in the tombs built by the Egyptians.
- Welders do not need college degrees to practice their trade. They do, however, need to be certified and licensed, but that is a shorter process—as few as 10 months—and typically less expensive than a four-year university program.
- A welder that is highly skilled and trained can earn pay similar to what doctors and lawyers make. In 2020, welders averaged $46,690 (bls.gov), though niche jobs can earn triple that or more.
- Traveling is a fun part of the welder’s job. They can even find themselves working on a space station or deep in the ocean!
- If two pieces of metal without any coating touch in space, they are joined permanently. This is called “cold welding,” and it only happens in space.
- The most jobs for welders can be found in manufacturing.
- The median age for welders is mid-fifties. Which means in the next ten years, they will be retiring, and more welders will be needed to fill that void.
- Every year before NASCAR, at least 950 hours are spent working on each individual car.
- In 1961, GM installed the first robotic welding arm called the Unimate. It weighed two tons and was created to spot weld.
- During WWII, there had been such an advancement in welding that it allowed for ships to be made in hyperdrive. The quickest ship made only took four days, 15 hours, and 27 minutes. This was in 1942, and that record still holds strong today!
Welding is one of the top paying jobs with the least time school.